Monday, August 5, 2013

Bring It On!


So, first off, this email is bound to be very scattered, and I apologize if you find that you can't understand most of it. I have very little time and SO much to tell you.



WHAT A WEEK!



First, Graciela and Antonio committed to be baptized! First time I've committed anyone to a baptismal date my whole mission. Their date is set for Sept. 8th. I'm SO happy for them. They are so prepared and so ready. I know there will be plenty of road blocks in the coming weeks but I know Heavenly Father will give them the strength to get through if they continue exercising faith in Him.  Something interesting to know is that he hasn't had any memory since the accident... he forgets things almost instantly. BUT he remembers the church building. And he remembers us missionaries. How amazing is that? I am so grateful to have been a part of their conversion process.



Second...My beautiful Sister Mann is going to Brazil. Finally received her visa! I'm so excited for her...but I'll miss her like crazy. Her next area is TAN LEJOS I'm afraid.

She has been one of the greatest inspirations to me.  She's just beautiful in every way. I would honestly call her one of my BEST friends. I know the people of Brazil really need her spirit and her powerful testimony...so I guess I'll share her with them. Haha. Bon Voyage my beauty! Hasta Verte!



Another BIG feature of the week...I don't know if I've mentioned in previous emails that all the missionaries in my area, along with all the various wards we serve in put together a music fireside about the life of Christ called "For God So Loved The World". We've been planning and preparing for it for the entire transfer. Everything was pretty much set to go... until the chapel flooded last week.

We had no idea what we were going to do... we couldn't cancel it, and we couldn't change locations... because we had handed out way too many invitations and had advertised for it all over Queens.

We concluded that we would have to move it to the gym in other building (The Woodside Stake Center consists of two buildings). EVERYTHING, all classes, meeting, etc. had to be moved to the other building temporarily.  Our fireside was no exception.  I was so devastated. I feared the quality of the fireside would just drop a ton due to the terrible acoustics and less than appealing appearance of the gym. "All our plans down the toilet" was kind of my feeling about the whole situation. We readjusted everything to work in the gym and then hoped it wouldn't be awful.

I couldn't have been more wrong about it not being all we hoped it would be! It was INCREDIBLE. Last night was the best night of my mission up to this point. It turns out that the fireside NEEDED to be in the gym because the chapel wouldn't have fit all the people who showed up. There was a huge turn out from all 3 wards and LOTS of nonmembers... there were a few people who just walked in off the street "because they felt like they should". It went so smoothly and the music was BEAUTIFUL. The spirit was so strong and all the missionaries have some new people interested in being taught because of what they felt last night. How incredible! Music really is the universal language.

The Mission President came to me afterward and said, "Good work here Sister Franklin. This is what it's all about."

EVERY bit of stress and work was worth it.



What a great way to spend my last night in Woodside!



Yep. That's right. I'm out. I'm being transferred to a new area tomorrow morning. No idea where. It came as a HUGE shock to the ward and all the other missionaries in the area. It was anticipated I'd be here till Thanksgiving... 6 transfers like all the other sister missionaries who start in Woodside. (Literally, ALL the other sister missionaries who start in Woodside have stayed 6 transfers.) I guess I never was one to "stick with the crowd"... always liked starting my own trends. Haha.

But honestly I feel at peace. It was tough to say goodbye to everyone and I'll miss the people here more than anything. But I know I left the area stronger than I found it. And I'm most definitely, absolutely leaving stronger than I was when I came. And isn't that what this is all about, being FOREVER CHANGED? Yeah. All is well. :)

Woodside will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart. And I know I'll be back someday. :)



I'll sure miss singing with Elder Hogge. I'm going to try to get a recording of the song we sang for the fireside last night at some point and have it sent home. Y'all would love it. Elder Van Mondfrans is out too... If I'm super lucky we'll end up in the same district somewhere else... Doubtful. Haha, but one can hope.



I wanted to let you know that I've never been happier. Truly. What a great time to be serving the Lord! I am so blessed to be here in this mission. This is such a unique place! There isn't a single mission in the world like it.


I can't thank you enough for the sacrifices that I know were made for me to be here. I can only say that I'm making every day count and making sure those sacrifices are worth it! I promise that if you could see the person I am now you would feel that all those years I was so tough to live with were worth all the pain. Haha! Heavenly Father sure helps you be humble when you're a missionary. ;)



 Gracias por todo. I love you and pray for you!! 
(Keep Graciela and Antonio in your prayers!)



LOVE you all, Hermana Franklin



Here's a picture of me with President and his wife and daughter after the fireside.


No comments:

Post a Comment