Monday, October 21, 2013

From People Who Love You!

Alright, this week had some serious ups and some serious downs.
Ups:
Found a couple of new investigators who are SUPER awesome. Finding investigators in Midwood is a rarity in and of itself so super, awesome investigators is extra special.

We had President's Interviews this week. WOW. My mission president is easily the best there is. I'm sure every missionary says that. But mine really is. Haha. He is such a good teacher and he is SO inspired. He is a master of following the spirit. There were things he said to me that I know were not his own words. It's always an amazing experience to be with him.

Temple trip!! I love the temple so much. I forgot how much I love it. It's been roughly 7 months since I've been inside a temple so that was just great. It was also my first time seeing the new temple presentation. SO BEAUTIFUL. The old presentation will always hold a very sacred place in my heart, but man, that was just incredible. And it was such a special blessing that I got to go with my Companion! That doesn't usually happen.
I finally let go of my pride and asked for a Priesthood blessing to get some inspiration about a few things I've really been struggling with. Best thing I could have done. Don't know why I waited 8 months to ask.

I encountered my first thieves. Yes, that monumental moment in a missionary's life.
Here's the story. It's a good one.
Zones 1,2,3 (I'm in Zone 2) gathered in Midwood for what we call a Mega-Blitz... All the missionaries of these zones divide and conquer to put a dent in the Midwood 1st Ward's list of over 750 lostless active members. As the companionships began arriving from the different zones it was like a big family reunion of missionaries in the foyer. I set my bag down on one of the classic LDS chapel, floral couches and started socializing with all the missionaries I had formerly served with. Yay! When they asked us all to migrate to the chapel to get started with companion assignments and an opening prayer, I went... Leaving my stuff behind in the foyer. Found out that I would be Blitzing with my trainer! Sister van Langen! What a lucky day! After the "opening exercises we grabbed our list of names, map, and my bag and headed off on our adventure.
We had a grand ol' time and a lot of success! We decided to celebrate by going to Dunkin' Donuts and get ourselves a pumpkin doughnut on our way back to the church. "My area, my treat!" I said, pulled out my wallet to pay for our victory feast and EMPTY. GONE. EVERYTHING GONE. (Well not everything... they left my library card and my driver's license because I secretly hide my driver's license behind my library card! Ha! Take that thief! .... oh. oops looks like I just revealed my secret hiding place. Haha.) I was so confused. HOW did someone get into my bag, unzip the zipper, take the wallet out and empty it and put the wallet back without me noticing?? Is anyone really that good??
We headed back to the church to start making all the necessary phone calls... you know, all that really annoying junk you have to deal with to cancel credit cards.
Greatest part of the whole experience got to call and hear my mom's voice for 4 minutes. So, that's why this experience is in the "ups" column. :) Thanks Thieves!
So to wrap this story up we got back to the church and discovered the truth about what actually happened. When I left my stuff in the foyer and all of us were in the chapel two men came in and took whatever they could find. My unattended bag (along with two other missionary backpacks) with a wallet in it was just fresh meat. Two Elders left the "opening exercises" for a drink of water, spotted them leaving the building and approached them. When they asked if they could help them find something, they said, "No, we're just wondering what time church is." They left very quickly and awkwardly and insisted that was the only reason they came into the church. Hmm... Well. Now it all makes sense.
People. Don't leave your stuff out for people to come steal from you. Even when you're ironically in the house of the Lord. Haha. Lesson learned.
Now the major "down" about all this was that I was going to be the one supplying the money for groceries, laundry and other temporal needs for the remainder of the month. Since the office is closed on weekends and the senior missionary couple in charge of finances are getting ready to depart, it wasn't looking like I'd get reimbursed for the money I had lost. At least, not for a few days. What were going to do about buying food for the next couple days when we had 2.62 cents to our name? Haha.
Well. The Lord always provides a way. As we were discussing our dilemma late last night there was a knock on our apartment door. When I opened it there was no one there... only an envelope hanging from the door frame on dental floss... inside was a note with 5 words on it. "From people who love you" along more than enough  money to buy us groceries, send a box and do laundry.
The message I would like to share today is that The Lord knows. He always knows. He will always put people in your path and send you angels of kindness to help you out when you're down. So, trust in Him. The "downs" will always be followed by an "up"!
Love you all!

Be safe out there, and don't leave your wallet lying around... I'm sure you all know that.
Sorry about that short bus moment, Dad.

Hermana "Grateful" Franklin
                                    
Graciela's Baptism -- Happiest Day!



Current Midwood District                                             
   
At the Manhattan Temple with Sister Jorgensen    

 Old Midwood District

Happiness with Sister Jorgensen

No comments:

Post a Comment