Friday, March 1, 2013

Unexpected Miracles

Hola familia y amigos! Hello family and friends!!



A few items of business....

1.) THANK YOU so much for all the letters! Mary Stilson, Miranda Champoux, Torre Slaeker, Elder Parker Cressman (sorry if I forgot to mention anyone!)... I LOVE you all! And of course thank you Mom for your daily advice and love... I love you FOREVER! And a HUGE, gigantic thank you to Aunt Julie for the wonderful package. I attempted to make the treats last...Fail.


2.) My P-Days are on Fridays, which is the only day I have to write letters. If you're wondering why the heck it's taking me so long to get reply to you. That's why. :) (Are missionaries allowed to say "heck"? I guess it's not that "dignified" is it.... Haha, perdòn.)


3.) SEND LETTERS! I would appreciate any mail coming my way. :)


4.) Laura Andersen, if you read this please somehow notify me or my mom and let me know that you received your birthday package. :)


5.) DeAnn, Doug Dearden's son is INDEED in my district! He's great. He's absolutely, most certainly the class clown.


I've now been the MTC for a total of 8 days. After my first week here, I can honestly say I'm a new person. That sounds ridiculously clichè, but it's SO TRUE.

Here's a watered down version of my life here for the past few days...


My companion and I have been improving immensely with our teaching and with our Spanish. I can't even believe how much I've been able to learn in such a short time. It's like I'm witnessing a miracle, yet the miracle IS ME! My teachers Hermano Gneiting, Hermano Painter, Hermano Loyd, and Hermano Nodameyer have truly been THE biggest blessing. They know exactly what to say and when to say it.


I mentioned how rough our first lesson was with our first investigator "Santiago" (Hermano Loyd)...  Well here's a comical story about our second lesson....

We were trying our best to explain the importance of prayer with our limited vocabulary and imperfect grammar. My companion, Hermana Dean has a nervous habit of pulling on her jewelry. She was tugging on a beautiful three strand pearl necklace throughout the lesson.... Well, you probably all know where this is going... Suddenly the necklace snapped and the pearls went all over the room. We all scrambled around the room picking up pearls. Haha. We examined the damage and saw that the string had torn in half. "Santiago" pulls a BOX OF MATCHES out of his pocket and says, "You could try melting the beads together to hold it in place..." Hermana Dean, picked up each end of the severed strand of beads, looked at Santiago and said (in Spanish), "This, (referring, to one end of the broken strands) is you. This (referring to the other strand) is God. These matches are PRAYER. The fire is the spirit. You need prayer and the spirit to mend your relationship with God."  Haha... Talk about turning an awkward disaster into an awesome object lesson.


Hermana Dean and I have grown so close as a companionship. She teaches me patience, that's for sure. Hahaha.... Our relationship has been compared to Bob Wiley and Dr. Marvin from the one and only "What about Bob."

The comparison is actually astoundingly accurate. Haha, in case there was any question, I'm Dr. Marvin. She keeps me laughing, and keeps my eyes rolling. (In a very kind loving way of course.) :) We constantly have to say, "Loud Laughter, Hermana." to remind ourselves where we are. We just have waaaaayyy to much fun. She sits up with me at night when I can't sleep and encourages me when I get frustrated with the language and tells me I look beautiful even when I know for a fact I look like I got hit by a bus. (The days are long, and the sleep time is short.... and exhaustion is just not beautiful. Haha.) Honestly, no one could ask for anything better in a companion. I just love her to death.


My district is growing and learning so quickly. It's amazing to see this young immature boys growing up! AHH, I just love it! 


This week there were many times where I felt somewhat... useless. I found myself praying quite frequently for opportunities to help others. When I was set apart I was asked to use my talents to share the gospel, and I've been praying often that opportunities might be opened up for me to use my talents.


Well my prayers have been answered in countless small ways, and two very obvious ways.

I was asked to sing in the Devotional this Sunday by the wife of the MTC president, Sister Nalley. (NERVE RACKING!) Guess who's playing the piano for me, the one and only, Sister Shelby Frampton!! WOO-WHOO! My last opportunity to sing with my best friend, as she is headed to Ohio this Tuesday! I feel nothing but gratitude for this wonderful opportunity.


I've been feeling like I needed to use my abilities as a leader more, but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it. Yesterday my Branch President’s1st counselor, asked me if I would accept the calling to be the Coordinating Sister (in training) for my zone. Wow. Direct answer to my prayer. When I said the words, "Yes, I am honored to accept this calling." I felt a very, very strong sense of peace come into my heart and I felt stronger somehow. I know this feeling was the spirit telling me that Heavenly Father knows that I am qualified and capable of more than I think I am. And I know he expects a lot of me. "Where much is given much is required." I feel myself being refined and molded into the person the Lord expects me to be. And you know what, I'm really liking this new me. I know I am weak, but I feel strong and powerful because I have the Lord standing there with me every step of the way.


I want you all to know that the Atonement is not only for sins. It's for EVERYTHING. Take your cares, your burdens and your heartache to the Lord, he can and WILL take it from you. He is ready to bless you. You just have to trust in him and believe in the plan he has for you. We go through sorrow, we go through pain, and we see people we love suffer... but we do all of this so we can know the true meaning of joy. Do me a favor and read the words to the hymn "Reverently and Meekly Now".... Read it four times if you have to. Let the message sink in, and believe in it...For it is TRUTH.


"And be constant unto me, that thy Savior I may be."


I love you all. Never forget it!


Love,


Hermana Tara Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment