Monday, April 22, 2013

And if You Endure it Well...


"Hey, lets go this way today."

"Okay, why not."



I never thought that this simple exchange of words would mean EVERYTHING, but this past week it has.



The week before was hard. Really hard. Our appointments were dropping like flies. And people had no desire to listen to us. I'll admit I was really discouraged by the time the end of the week came and we had almost nothing to report to our district leader.

I thought to myself, "So this is what it's really like being a missionary."

I had a decision to make... give up, and assume that I'll never get the hang of it. OR just decide that tomorrow is a new day.

I bet you're all wondering which one I chose...Haha.

I was done being discouraged, I was done feeling sorry for myself. This week WAS going to be different.



And guess what, it was!



The Lord blessed us so much. We found several new families to teach! I'll never cease to be amazed by how the chain of miracles link us to our investigators... How seemingly small things make a WORLD of difference. Things like doors being left unlocked, giving us access to floors of apartments we normally can't get to. (Just one of MANY examples.) Lessons with members present just fell into our laps! We found people everywhere we went who wanted to be taught. 



My testimony of the "small things" grows stronger every day. The small successes REALLY are what make up the big scale of success. Often I overlook the miracles that occur in my life daily. And what a huge mistake! Elder M. Russell Ballard says, "Great and marvelous events seem to motivate us, but small things often do not hold our attention. Noting that the Liahona worked by faith, Alma stated, 'Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means…[the people of Lehi] were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased' and they did not progress in their journey. Is our journey sometimes impeded when we forget the importance of small things? Do we realize that small events and choices determine the direction of our lives just as small helms determine the direction of great ships?"



I testify that "coincidences are (not) God's way of staying anonymous". He is in the details of our lives. He knows what we need, and the spirit will prompt us, making His will known to us. We just have to listen. Next time you feel inclined to do something, if it's a good thing... DO IT! Blessings will come from it.



Something else that I've learned this week is that people are good. Sure, there is a whole lot of bad going on in the world right now...the Boston Marathon bombing, for example. There are individuals out there who desire to hurt and to harm others. BUT I know that the majority of people are good. I've been truly privileged to come in contact with people who even though they live in the humblest of circumstances have a love for life that I admire SO much. The people here are amazing.



Well... My time is about up but I love y'all so much. Keep the faith and keep praying for me!



Thanks for your letters and emails! Keep 'em coming!



Lots and LOTS of Love,

Hermana Tara Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment