Monday, April 29, 2013

Count Your Blessings



Hello one and all!



Some things I did this week:
Ate pig skin, got locked out of my apartment (don't worry, miraculously someone was there to let us in), held a PYTHON, invited an Oscar De La Renta wedding dress designer to be baptized (WOO-Whoo!), got bible bashed, taught English class (with 5 NEW people!), FINALLY met "Dave the Painter", taught an Egyptian (he is SO cool), sang in Sacrament Meeting with Elder Hogge and played the piano A LOT.



One that I would like to elaborate on is "Dave the Painter". Dave is a guy who does service for the community day in and day out. He's known as Dave "the painter" because he paints over graffiti around the town. He is such an awesome individual. And he loves our church, he's not a member (yet), but he asks for our help with big projects and what not. We talked for a minute about how every bit of help no matter how small, is helpful. He said, "I know I'm just one guy. I know I'm just Dave. But this one guy, Dave, can leave this place better than he found it." That's practically a direct quote from Preach My Gospel. Haha. I thought a lot about that conversation and about the wonderful example "Dave the Painter" is to me. Even if I never baptize anyone here in Woodside, I'm determined to leave the ward and the community better than when I found it. There is work to be done everywhere. I love the opportunity to help people!



Speaking of helping people... We as a district teach an English Class free for anyone to learn English. It's a pretty awesome way to get to know people. And we usually have a couple new faces each time, and tons of "regulars". Well, we're really trying to make some of our regular attenders into investigators. This is much harder than it sounds so...I could use some prayers.



Speaking of prayers... Teresa has been reading and praying! She's one of our only investigators who is REALLY progressing. We invited her to be baptized and she said that she wants to keep learning and studying, but that she feels good about what she's been learning with us. Teresa is super cool. She's from Ecuador and she's a designer for OSCAR DE LA RENTA. (What the...? Who knew we'd find one of those right around the corner from the church!) She's very intelligent, artistic and curious. (I relate to her pretty well.) :) I have really, really high hopes for Teresa. I'd appreciate your prayers on her behalf too.



I've had a lot of reminders this week that I live a really good life. I have a good family and good friends who have guided me and helped me make good choices. As a result of those choices, I've avoided a whole lot of pain. Others have not been so blessed in their lives... I can't even express to you all how grateful I am for the COUNTLESS blessing I have. One of MANY, many examples:  We were given two big bags of food by a less active family after an appointment one night, as we walked home from the appointment I saw an old man digging through the trash looking for something to eat (sadly, that's not terribly uncommon). I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude to the Galeanos for providing us with the food, and gratitude to Heavenly Father for providing us with the opportunity to give someone a much needed meal. SO MUCH TO BE GRATEFUL FOR!



Keep the faith family, keep being awesome, and count your many blessings!



LOVE you all,

Hma. Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment