Monday, June 17, 2013

Karaoke, and Lots of Love!


This week has been SO fantastic. It's hard to pin it on any one single event, but it just rocked for some reason.



We were able to meet with a LOT of people and most of our plans went through! Wooo!



One story I think everyone will appreciate:



We do service every Friday at a local senior citizen center. We serve food, help out in the kitchen, and get yelled at in Spanish frequently. Every week is pretty much the same and all the local elderly folk recognize us. It's great. Haha. This last Friday was fairly different from our usual experience...They had someone there running a Karaoke party! Well...Sister van Langen decided to deviously volunteer Sister Mann and I to sing a song. (Don't worry, they ended up making her sing too. Haha! Karma can sure bite ya, ehh, Sister van?) So to help you picture this, it was three Mormon sister missionaries wearing hairnets and disposable plastic aprons singing Amazing Grace with an 80 year old black lady named Gloria...to hundreds of senior citizens.  Yeah. That's right! Haha... Sometimes I just have to laugh at my life.  



Something else... We were looking up a family in a fairly large apartment complex, but the problem was we didn't have their apartment number. We felt pretty strongly that we should just go in and start searching even though that seemed like a pretty impossible task. As we wandered about for only a couple of minutes we faintly heard someone singing..." O, Elderes de Isreal con migo venid!"...(Ye Elders of Israel, join now with me). We followed the singing up the stairs and found the family we were looking for! Haha. Music has a crazy way of showing me the way. It's truly the language of my soul. :) 


We also had Patriarca Miranda (Patriarch Miranda) come and teach the spiritual thought at English Class this week. (I love English Class. It's a way to help people, teach the gospel and get people to the church building all in one evening!)  Patriarca Miranda is amazing. He taught a fantastic lesson about communication with our Heavenly Father and about the importance of "listening".

The truth is, I've never been very good at "listening”...to anyone, really, (Haha) particularly answers to prayers. I think sometimes I don't realize the answer to my prayer is right in front of my face. I'm just not looking for it. Heavenly Father is answering my prayers and I'm not "listening" for the answer. So my goal for the coming weeks is to really search through the resources that Heavenly Father has given to me that will help me find answers to my prayers. A good friend of mine, namely Jared Hassler, reminded me that there are 3 places I should always turn to. 1.) The Book of Mormon 2.) Preach My Gosepl 3.) Words of the Living Prophets. There's one I would like to add to the list... 4.) Patriarchal Blessing. It's amazing what you can find in your Patriarchal Blessing. It's the Lord's personal scripture for you, and there is much revelation to be found. I'd encourage everyone to get their patriarchal blessing no matter how long ago or how recently it's been since you last read it. And find scriptures that go along with the spiritual gifts/warnings/blessing you've been given. (I'm working on that right now, and it's SO COOL!)  I know these are things that seem obvious. But when I turn to them with the intention of finding an answer to a question or turn to them for solace in a time of worry or anxiety I've been able to find what I need.

Wooo! I love spiritual enlightenment. :)



Random side note.... real Brazilian food IS SO GOOD. We went over to a Brazilian member's house so that Sister Mann would have someone to help her with her Portuguese... man oh man, I'm a tiny bit jealous she's going to Brazil for the food. Haha.



Anyway much LOVE and prayers to all of you!

Keep the faith!



Hermana Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment