Monday, September 16, 2013

Jamaica and The Ultimate Lesson

     So... I'll just start by saying. This week was INCREDIBLE. I know I say that all the time. But I REALLY REALLY mean it this time. Haha.
     I'll start with saying our Bishop is just amazing. Simply amazing! So is his wife. The Herrera's moved into our ward just before I got here and look, now he's the bishop. The Lord sends ya where he needs ya. That's for sure. I've seen a lot of changes in the ward since he's become the bishop. He is so kind and so loving. He encourages us missionaries so much and thanks us for our hard work. He definitely motivates me to work harder and to be diligent in serving this ward that our good bishop cares for so much. Sister Jorgensen and I went and taught with his wife on Tuesday and it was such pleasure! She is such a great example of "acting well thy part" to the sister's in our ward and to us missionaries. In case there's any question, I'm referring to the talk "We Are Daughters of our Heavenly Father" by Sister Dalton. If you haven't read it recently... GO READ IT! Love that one.
     Hopefully I can do justice to this next story via email... it's a little complex and there's a lot to it... so I pray it makes at least a little sense.
     I was asked to participate in a public concert that the missionaries in Zone 6 were putting on. Along with Sister Blosil (from the Midwood English district) and Elder Goates and Elder Erickson from my district. (In case anyone wants to know... Sister Blosil is pretty much famous for her beautiful voice, Elder Goates is a vocal performance major from BYU and has got PIPES, and Elder Erickson may or may not be the best, or next to the best, piano player I've ever met..,Sooooo not really sure why they invited me, but I'm sure lucky they did.) (Sister Freeze and Sister Jorgensen stayed here in Midwood while Sister Blosil and I along with the Elders spent Saturday in Jamaica, Queens singing/performing and inviting people to church.
     It was a pretty cool experience. We were in kind of a big... like, mall? Thing? I don't know... regardless, we sang near a food court where a lot of people could gather and listen should they choose to. A LOT of people came and expressed interest in learning more and there were even a few people who were taught lessons right there in the food court. How cool is that!?
After the concert was finished, we planned to just head home to Brooklyn. BUT the Lord had a much better plan in mind for us.
     As we were just about to head down into the Subway station to get home, a man dressed in Muslim attire stopped us and said, "You guys are Mormons, right?" "Yes, we sure are!" was our reply... Now, at this point in time I hate to admit I was trying to think of all the many ways you can say "Sir, we really don't have time to argue but thank you for your opinion and your time" and which version of that phrase would be best for the situation. I immediately repented when he responded to our confirmation that we were indeed Mormons... He said, "Would you mind teaching me about what you believe? There are so many unreliable, hateful sources out there I simply can't trust what I see on the internet or read in a book. The only people who can accurately tell you about the beliefs of another religion are those who practice THAT religion." (You have to understand...this RARELY happens...usually people who approach us like that only want to argue or mock us. So this was a HUGE blessing, and well, a shock.) We all felt good about this, and said we'd be happy to teach him about our beliefs. He then said, "Hey, actually, would you mind coming back to the school and teaching me and my fellow scholars as well."   UMM, CLARO QUE SÍ. It's not everyday you get invited to a Muslim school to teach Latter-Day Saint doctrine.
     So we went down the block to the school. We removed our shoes before entering... (always super cool to participate in the traditions of other faiths and cultures, I LOVE IT!) and were seated in the office of the dean of the school. He came back with the Dean of the school. He kindly greeted us and offered us coffee or tea... And so it began! Haha...We taught them ALL of the missionary lessons including, The Restoration, The Plan of Salvation, The Gospel of Jesus Christ, The Word of Wisdom, The Law of Chastity, Tithing, Ordinances and temple work, and Missionary Work!
     They taught us about the Muslim beliefs and we learned LOTS about the history of Islam. I discovered that they actually have extremely similar doctrine to us. Interesting right? I had no idea. They believe in a pre-existence and an after-life just as we do... and they have very similar views on family and chastity. However, the extreme difference between our religions is Jesus Christ. They are not Christian. They do not believe that Jesus was the son of God. They do believe he was a prophet and they love him very much, but they do not worship him in anyway or acknowledge him as a savior for mankind.
     I thought about my relationship with my Savior Jesus Christ and tried to imagine my life without that. It simply couldn't be. I'm so grateful for my knowledge that Jesus did indeed suffer every pain and affliction for all of us…he paid the price of our lives and made it possible to receive a fullness of joy.
This experience was one of the most enlightening and powerful experiences I've had in my life. I don't think I've ever had a spiritual witness that God lives quite like that. It was such a unique situation. It was truly a blessing to speak openly and freely about the doctrine of Christ and have no fear of ridicule or disrespect.
     Before we left, we gave them all the pamphlets we used to teach and gave them both a copy of The Book of Mormon.  Adam, the one who stopped us on the street gave me his personal copy of the Koran. SO AWESOME, right? He marked the chapters that really changed his life. Interesting to note that Adam is from Puerto Rico. So we got to speak a little Español. And hey, now that I've gotten pretty good at this Spanish thing... I can learn Arabic. Wooo!
     I think the greatest thing I took away from it was that God loves us. He truly does, and he allows us to experience what we need to in order to progress in our lives. I don't expect that either of those men will join the church anytime soon. And you know what, it's okay. Adam said to us, "There must have been some reason why God gave me the courage I needed to talk to you." And he's right. God does have his reasons. So whatever the reason, the four of us were meant to cross paths with those two great men that day.
We traveled back to Brooklyn and discussed what had happened. We all felt similar spiritual impressions and feelings. Love those missionaries we'll all remember that experience forever.
     After an hour and twenty minutes on the train, we were home. and shortly after that.... TRANSFER CALLS.
Dun. Dun. Duuuuunn.
And well. I'm staying here in MIDWOOD! WITH SISTER JORGENSEN. First time transfers didn't just throw me a huge curve ball. Couldn't be happier. Sista. J and I are going to rock this.
Best week ever!
Hope everyone else had a great week too! Keep the faith!
Love,
Hermana Franklin


      Me in Prospect Park



The View from my apartment window.
So Ghetto but so super cool!

Sister Jorgensen and Me (SYD)

No comments:

Post a Comment