Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Social Networking, Spiritual Gifts, And Sister Sydney Jorgensen


So... here's a slightly crazy piece of information for the week....



Come October, I can use Facebook for proselyting purposes... Whaaat? I'm not really sure how I feel about this. :)  I really loved the idea about leaving all that social connection behind when I left. However, I know the First Presidency and other people at church headquarters have thought about this a lot and this has definitely been in the works for years... So I'm sure great things will come of it. I just really don't love the prospect of seeing everything going on back at home as of right now... sort of feel like it will be more of a hindrance than help... Guess we'll find out in October.  



Ran into Jay and Lisa Franklin yesterday...That was SO crazy. I mean, of all the millions of people here in New York City! Haha. Guess they were in town for a Yankee's vs. Redsox game... (Way to go SOX.) (Sorry New York, you'll never convert me in that aspect. Haha.) Super awesome to see them and tell them all about my area and the missionary work around here.



Something I've been thinking about a lot this week is the concept of "spiritual gifts". I was encouraged by Sister Freeze (a sister serving in the English ward) to write down all the gifts of the spirit I've been given and all the talents I have. Then to write down things I'd like to improve on and spiritual gifts and talents I would like to develop more fully. I definitely recommend this exercise to anyone and everyone! It's awesome.... here's why...



The word talent comes from the Greek word talanton, meaning balance or weight, and refers to any variety of weights of gold or silver and the value of such in terms of currency in ancient cultures. Most of the seventy occurrences of the world "talent" in the scriptures refer to money in this sense, including in the parable of Jesus concerning the king who became the model of compassion by forgiving one of his servants a debt of "ten thousand talents".  (Matthew 18: 24). However, in His other well-known "parable of the talents" (Matthew 25), the Lord uses the metaphor to show that talents can be more than just money... they're also gifts that we can use to achieve worthwhile goals. In this sense talents are given to us to build the kingdom... they do in fact come with covenant responsibility. When we serve the Lord with all our heart, mind and strength (D&C 4:2) we can "stand blameless before God" and bring "Salvation to our souls". (D&C 4:4) Using our talents for the cause of Zion will bring joy, comfort and eternally enduring blessings.



As I learned more about what talents and gifts of the spirit actually ARE... I saw how I could use the gifts I've been given to improve those things that I saw needed some work in my life. The lord doesn't give us a task unless he has prepared a way for us to accomplish it. And well…I found that I have been given many tools/gifts/talents that will enable me to accomplish and achieve the goals I've set for myself.



(If you'd like citation of my sources...the scriptures, PMG, True to the Faith, and My Missionary Companion scripture book. Haha. I highly encourage you to read the spiritual gifts section of True to the Faith. Super great. )



Another gift I've been given is my Companion Sister Jorgensen.

She is such an inspiration to me. And I couldn't be more grateful to have her as my companion right now. She's helped me learn a lot about myself in the last 6 weeks.

She is such a strong woman. I don't know if she realizes it, but it's the truth.

She gave me a talk to read this last week... Wow. She just knows exactly what I need, when I need it. Ironically the talk she gave me mentioned how God has a very detailed plan for my mission... the people I will serve and teach, the wards I will be placed in, the areas I will be assigned to, my mission president and his wife, and of course those who will serve as my companions. And I know 100% that this is true. I know Sister Jorgensen was meant to be serving in this ward with me at this point in our missions. Our companionship isn't perfect... it's not like there weren't days this transfer that we could have been more effective/diligent. BUT Sister Jorgensen always knows how to make things better. It's awesome to see how our spiritual gifts and strengths really compliment each other.

Man,

I pray we stay together this upcoming transfer! (Only one week left of this transfer... they're just FLYING. Kinda want time to just slow the heck down. Haha.)



Anyway... that's about all I'd like to gab about today, hope everyone is well and dandy!



LOVE you!



Hermana Tara Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment