Monday, July 22, 2013

HOT. SO HOT


Wow. 
I don't know how it's been for the rest of the country but it has been similar to the surface of the sun out here in New York, 104 and 100% humidity. I've never actually prayed for an early winter before this week. Haha. Seriously though, I hope we don't have another week like this last one. I might melt. Oh, and Aunt Cheri, I know what you're thinking. And I PROMISE I'd take the Arizona heat over this ANY day. Its like a steam room up in here.
Luckily it's in the upper 80's low 90's today... the Heat Wave is on the way out.

On to bigger and better topics...
Do y'all remember the talk called "Catch the Wave" by Elder Nielsen? Great talk...and guess what...It's happening! Our ward is really catchin' the wave. Missionary work is changing drastically around here, and it's just incredible. In the last few weeks we've seen so much change in the attitude of the members and we as missionaries have really stepped it up too. Every member is a missionary and every missionary is a member. We're all getting callings and have a visiting teaching/home teaching companion. (We all know what my calling is...piano player. Haha.) We've been teaching investigators with the members there backing us up and fellowshipping like never before. Members truly are the key to all of this.
On another note... Our ward now has FOUR missionaries out. 2 in Brazil, 1 in Las Vegas, and now Carla will be heading to PROVO, UT this week. She's going to go take care of my people while I'm here takin' care of her people. Sounds like a great deal, right? :) Carla is the first Sister Missionary from the Woodside Ward ever. I am so grateful for pioneers like her who set the example for others. I'm grateful for people who aren't afraid to do difficult things! She caught the wave and is helping so many others catch it too. What a champ. All of my peeps in Provo/Utah County, watch for Sister Sanchez. She's fantastic.

We had a little FHE celebration thing for her last night at the church...the whole ward came out to celebrate. SO MUCH FUN. We played "I Have Never" ("Yo nunca he"). (For those of you who don't know what that is... it's like "Do you love your neighbor". Everyone sits in a circle while someone stands in the middle and says "I have never had/done/been/eaten/etc." and everyone who HAS had/done/been to/eaten said thing/activity/place/food/etc. has to get up and switch places and try not to be the one left in the middle.)  Since almost all the members of my ward are converts it got a little hilarious when someone said "I have never been drunk/gotten arrested etc". Haha. (The gospel is a great thing.) Elder Bills was also the last one standing for "I have never worn make up/high heels/or a dress." and Elder Van Mondfrans and I were fighting for the last seat on "I have never had a son." Hahaha. That's what happens when you can't understand Spanish very well. I guess we all know each other a little too well now.
Haha. Best Ward ever.

Now for a miracle story:
Graciela.
She is a new investigator, and she's just incredible. She's got a crazy story:
Her husband worked really late into the night every night and didn't usually get home till about 3am. One night about a month ago he was walking home from work and he got jumped. His attacker stabbed him 5 times in the stomach and twice in the chest/heart. Miraculously, he lived.
However, life has not been easy for Graciela for the past few weeks as you can imagine...between being at the hospital with her husband and taking care of the rest of her little family, it was just too much. She got on her knees one day and asked God to show her the way, and pleaded for some sort of relief.  That same night the Elders knocked on her door.
God answers prayers. I know he does. He is always there for us in our time of need.
She's amazing. She pretty much teaches herself in lessons. She's so awesome. I know whether it's during my time in Woodside or not, she'll be a member of the church someday.

I feel so...happy. I'm just so glad to be here. I come home every day and I'm exhausted. My brain is fried from speaking/translating Spanish and my feet ache from walking from one thing to the next. And it feels AWESOME. I love working hard, nothing is more satisfying. I owe it to the Lord for the blessings I receive everyday.

I hope everyone is "catching the wave" in one way or another. Now's the time! Congrats to my Mary on her mission call! Wooo! Look out Richmond!
I love you all! Keep up the good work. Remember to write me a letter. Thanks SO MUCH for all of the responses last week!

Keep the faith,

Hermana Tara Franklin

Enjoy this picture of our suffering out in the projects during the heat wave...the lack of AC units out there was killer. Makes me grateful. Builds Character. Check out the sweat on Sister Mann's back after wearing her back pack for only 10 minutes.




My trio with Carla. Woo! We're so proud of her.



Elder Van had a Birthday... and here we are Celebrating with Sister Ochoa. :) 



Me with the youngest member of the Almanzar family, Sabastian. Love them. We talked about The Plan of Salvation. He sure does love me. Haha.


We helped to cultivate all the newly planted trees in Woodside for "Mormon Helping Hands Day" It was cool to walk down the streets in the sea of yellow vests!










No comments:

Post a Comment