Monday, July 8, 2013

The Home of the Brave

Hey what's up everybody?!



Things are good. TOO good. A week of miracles!



First off, I went on an exchange with the Sister Training Leaders and was in Rego Park for the day. So much FUN. It's always interesting to work in an English pool. Nice to teach in my native tongue every once in a while. Haha. I got to meet with Mou (not sure on the spelling there....). A woman from Nepal who converted to the church about 3 years ago... Used to be Buddhist. She was a suuuuper interesting gal. She asked me all kinds of questions about my personal take on the gospel of Jesus Christ. Since she was raised Buddhist she still has a lot of Buddhist-ish ways of doing things. For example, she meditates for like, 4-5 hours a day. Hence, she has plenty of time to think of deep questions to ask the missionaries. Haha. Loved her.

Also met a less active guy named Byron. Such a hoot. Haha. His wife, Christy, is Catholic and they've got a cute little 3 year old boy and a brand new baby girl. Cute little family. We kind of just stumbled upon the visit, a little miracle that we actually got into their home with all of them there. I sang and played the guitar for them. (I've gotten a little better and know how to play a few hymns. Woo!) Byron said that at least one of the two missionaries in our home is from Utah, can play the guitar, or sings.... So I told him he had all three in ONE. Me.



How was everyone's 4th of July?! I was sad to miss out on all the family traditions... I'll be honest. But I still had a good day. Our ward had a HUGE 4th of July BBQ. F-I-E-S-T-A  Soccer, volleyball... and of course Brazilian Grill. Lots of Salsa and Lots of rice and chilies. Super patriotic right? ... Haha. It was awesome. We had over 10 nonmembers/investigators there and tons of less active families. It was great to see everyone there like one big family.



Now, let me back up and give a little background information...We tried to give "Church Tours" for an Elliptical Finding Activity a few months back. It was a HUGE fail. BUT, Elder Van Mondfrans had a dream that we did Church Tours again and 100's of people came to the church...(yeah, he's really embracing the Hispanic culture...). We discussed it, and decided to give Church Tours another chance. A perfect opportunity came for us to give it a go. There was a big street fair on Woodside Ave. right near the church on Saturday. We stood on the corner amidst the crowds of people and gave out free water and offered to take them on a tour of the church. As it was 7,438 degrees Fahrenheit outside... TONS of people came in, if only to get out of the heat. But hey, everyone loved it. Looks like Elder Van Mondfrans now has a testimony that dreams really do come true. Haha.



To top this week off...we had 5 LA/investigators come to church! WHAT a great Sunday. I couldn't stop smiling. Miracles DO happen.

Sister Mann got up and bore her testimony in Spanish. Made me cry...She doesn't know many words in Spanish but she's walking proof that by simple means GREAT things are brought to pass.  I'm SO proud of her...She works so hard. I'll miss her more than words can say when her Visa comes. I'm secretly praying it never comes. Shhh! Haha. 



 My spiritual thought for this week is about Family Home Evening. I love FHE. I know sometimes it might seem like it's more work than it's worth. But I've seen how it really holds families and even wards together. Satan is working on our family relationships double time. We've got to do all we can to keep our homes sacred places to be. Mom, I would like to publically apologize for all the times I made it difficult to do FHE. I was an awful kid. Haha. But seriously, everyone have a GREAT family night tonight, okay? I promise blessings come from setting aside one night a week for the family!



Love, peace and blessings to all of you! You're all in my prayers!



Hermana Tara Franklin



P.S. Got a wicked Sunburn. Next stop- FARMERS TAN. Promise I'll wear sunscreen from now on, Mom. Haha.



P.S. I hope you enjoy this picture... Not sure what kind of Beetle he is. But his name is Ronny. Named after the Cashier at Rite-Aid. Haha. He was HUGE. I have no idea how long he was just chillin' on my bag before I noticed him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment